28 Mart 2008 Cuma

Solar Powered Mini Robosapien


Recently mac donalds was giving mini versions of wowwee robots with the happy meal. I got a wind-up robosapien and started on thinking how can I turn it in to a solarbot. I have opened it up and took away some parts of the wind-up and installed a gear motor on the back of the robot which contacts with the gears inside the bot. You can find these small gear motors from an old walkman or any cassette player.

The electronics are a 1381 solarengine free-formed. You can see how to free-form one in the Make Magazine Volume 6.

The bot works pretty well. I was expecting it walking a lot faster tho. Yet it is not possible since we use a gear motor and our output speed is decreased. But there is not a way to do it without a gearmotor as running the gearwork in the robot requires lots of torque. I am now thinking of adding a 0.1 F gold capacitor instead of 3 parallel 4700uf I have used on this version. That will make the robot charge slower under sun, but once its triggered I believe it will walk for a lot longer.

Hiç yorum yok: